Monday, 4 March 2013

STUDIO BRIEF 2 - THEORY INTO PRACTICE CONCEPT/RESEARCH


For the 'Theory into Practice' brief, I am proposing to design and produce a zine focusing on the history of fashion in the 80s, reflecting how the music, trends, culture, society and politics of this decade helped shape fashion, and the present. I will also look at the differences between modernist fashion and post modernist fashion at the time. This will be done through the juxtaposition of type and image, content and aesthetics.

I want my publication to highlight key fashion changes and styles throughout key era.

I decided I wanted to create a fanzine opposed to a magazine, as I wanted my publication to be edgy, raw, colourful and trendy, and appeal to a younger audience.

I plan on targeting young adults, and students with a 'passion for fashion' through image, trends, eras, high culture, low culture, photography, and informal language. 

Initial Thoughts:
Musical influences.
Sex & The City (Movie); Carrie Bradshaw wardrobe 80s scene, empowered women, trends of 80s shown/reflected. Potential references/quotes to tie in with statement and era. 
Politics, Punk, Anarchy, Rebellion
Women Empowered Massively
Sportswear/Aerobics 
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Trends over the decade
Street/Bronx
Rave
Underground

Potential Research/Reference Points:
Fashion Lecture Notes 
Library Books
Journals
Zines
Online Information/Images
Personal Collection of Magazines/Journals

Eras Noted in Lecture Notes/Photographers:
1850s (Royals)
1900s (Paul Poiret, Edward Steichen, Adolf de Mayer)
1930s (Martin Munkacsi)
1940s/1950s (Cecil Beaton. Icons; Marylin Monroe, Twiggy, Grace Kelly, Andy Warhol, Georgia O'Keefe, Liz Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Queen Elizabeth II)
1930s-1960s (Louise Dahl Wolfe)
1950s (William Klein)
1990s-Present (Mario Testino; photographed Princess Diana, notably Kate Moss)

Inspiration:
OWTcreative
Dazed and Confused
Esquire
No.ZINE

I want to use a variety of print methods, opposed to purely using photocopied stock for my zine. I want to incorporate the following to use the workshop facilities and improve my skill set:
- Photography
- Collage (digital & hand rendered)
- Screen Print
- Foiling
- Embossing
- Photocopying
- Digital Print Methods

Quotes, Statements and Facts will also be used to back up the context and content of my publication.

Format:
- A5
- Structured in an unorthodox manner.

- - - -

Initially I looked at my lecture notes from the history of fashion photography lecture as key inspiration for my context. I came across some zines whilst researching editorial publications which inspired me further into the format and aesthetics of the publication I desire to design and produce.












Sofia Leite
'Sunday Boring Sunday'











Reprocess Zines by OWTcreative




0 comments: