Monday, 6 May 2013

DESIGN CONTEXT EVALUATION



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD401               


 Module Title
Context of Practice 1


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
DANIELLE MUNTYAN



1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Throughout this module I feel like I have learnt how important the contextual information is in relation to graphic design and world issues, which help contextualise work and theoretical essays, which are given. The lectures have enabled me to research further into topics of interest such as fashion photography and post modernism and reflect this knowledge through my work. Whilst writing academic essays learning the Harvard referencing system has been invaluable to my present, and future work. Through further research and tutorials I feel like I have applied the above skills to my work, to the best of my ability. The discussions through the sessions, causing debate I feel is one of the best skills developed as it allows you to think, articulate and be passionate about your opinion on the topic at hand.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have carried out both primary and secondary research for both the academic essay and the brief history of brief. Visiting the libraries magazine archives was an invaluable primary research method, which was more than beneficial for the publication produced. I also sourced and read books, articles, online blogs and websites, as well as visiting private bookshops, and purchasing zines for research purposes. Looking through design and fashion blogs focusing on the 1980s gave inspiration for the aesthetics of the magazine. The above methods influenced the aesthetics and content of the publication, and the books, articles and journals read gave inspiration and quotes for the academic essay. Looking at publications and the chronology of the 1980s allowed me to order my publication effectively also. Class tutorials and crits also helped me make invaluable decisions regarding format, binding and ordering the content which helped structure and make the best possible publication.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I have realised I am good at designing for editorial work, and that my design style is adaptable compared to briefs completed in other modules. I have identified strength for organising my workload, and the publication brief in general. The amount of research and imagery collected for the publication needed to be ordered and structured in order to effectively design the magazine, which was challenging at time due to the wealth of information collected. I am good at working to deadlines, and the skills mentioned will be invaluable throughout my time on the course. I have also found strengths of researching and archiving information.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I feel as though my essay isn’t the best it could be, so this is something I would like to address in the future before the 2nd year commences through further researching and reading of published academic essays and journals.

Overall I feel as though I have tried my best with every brief set and feel confident about what I have learnt and produced throughout the module.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1.    Relate essay choice to publication to help specify research and be more contextualised and familiar with the background history.
2.    Attend more sign-up crits to make sure my work is on track, and I am working in the right direction.
3.    Visit more galleries and exhibitions in relation to topics being discussed in sessions/briefs to gain further insight and carry out primary research.
4.    Even though I managed the workload for the publication, I felt at times I had taken on too much with the format and amount of content needed.
5.    Be more vocal in class, to join in more with the class discussion to gain confidence in healthy debate and pubic speaking.




6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality




x
Motivation




x
Commitment




x
Quantity of work produced




x
Quality of work produced




x
Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


0 comments: