Thursday, 16 January 2014

BODY IMAGE SURVEY RESULTS


Below show the 77 responses I have received in the past week, and the survey is still going. I have cried at times throughout this primary research process and feel overwhelmed with the honesty of the respondents. I am ever so thankful for their co-operation and admittance of their secrets. You can clearly see that being anonymous truly allows people to express how they really think and feel.



age:21 gender:male I'm happy with my body, not ashamed by it although I want to continue to work on it, by going to the gym etc. I don't really know what I want my body to look like, just to be more toned. I think I look pretty good and can look better but we all start some where.
1/20/2014 4:16 PM View respondent's answers

How do I perceive my own body image? How I look is important to me, which I know people see as futile but the first impression is often the way you are judged and I don't want to give off a poor first impression. I spend time choosing what I wear and how I look because I want to and I like to. Just like other people like skating or bikes, one of my passions is fashion. In terms of my body image I am confident in my clothes but not as confident without them. I think I am quite attractive, however, I know I can act with a very unattractive arrogance, usually when I am feeling defensive. I do not think I have an attractive body, although there is nothing wrong with it I think it could be better. I don't think I would ever change anything because I don't believe in that type of thing. I have a lot of respect from people who do not judge people outright on their appearance and think I can learn from them. I am a confident person, however, I do get very nervous in situations I am not used to and thinking I look the part helps me to believe I can do something. I am picky about how I look but that is just me and people who say it's pathetic and just ego-boosting are either jealous or have nothing better to do. I'm not sure if any of that has been what you were after I was just writing what I was thinking. Thanks
1/19/2014 2:14 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 19. I'm not particularly sure how I perceive my own body image. I've never really been that conscious of my body, as I've never been overweight. Obviously there are a few things I'd prefer to be perfect - stomach more toned, bigger and plumper lips, defined cheekbones, longer hair, but I know I'm happy with how I look and that everything will take forever to improve! I think a lot of how I want to look is down to other girls that I see in the media and look up to, for example Cara Delevingne for her eyebrows and bone structure, or lips like Emma Grattidge's.
1/18/2014 6:20 PM View respondent's answers
52 year old female. I need to lose a stone as I do not like my body image, I see myself as over weight!
1/18/2014 5:27 PM View respondent's answers
Age - 48 Gender - male I feel very nagative about my body image, I'm out of shape and unfit, I used to be beautiful (IMHO - in the right light!) but not any more. I don't have the time or the money to do any serious gym. My feelings about how I look stops me buying clothes that I would like and I feel far more self concious in social situations than I used to.
1/17/2014 8:32 PM View respondent's answers

It does the job, sometimes better than others. But I've only ever had brief periods in my life when I've been happy with my body.
1/17/2014 7:12 PM View respondent's answers

I have always suffered with not liking the way I look - wanting to look thinner, have smaller legs, smaller boobs etc. from a young age. However now being the tender age of 28 I am only just starting to accept that I am who I am, my body will never be as small as I wanted it to be so the most I can do is put my body in the best condition it can be. To do this I carry out my favourite stress reliever....dancing! I set myself challenges to improve my strength in my body through using aerial hoop and pole dancing. I can honestly say this have physiologically put me in the best position I have been in my whole life. I am proud of the way I look and am ever prouder of how if I work hard like I am my body can be in excellent condition. Society expects us to look a certain way - we're either too fat or too thin, half of the country is on fad diets that even if it makes you loose a couple of pounds, it doesn't do a thing for you mentally. The mind is a powerful source and in my eyes the only way you can truly be happy with your body is either by accepting that you are the way you are and be proud or make a pledge to change your lifestyle. Hope this helps Claire :) Dominique xx
1/17/2014 6:53 PM View respondent's answers

Female,38. I don't feel confident about my body especially in pictures. Do you count face in this? I have acne which really affects my confidence. For about 20 years I sporadically can't look people in the eye.
1/17/2014 6:06 PM View respondent's answers

Female 44, hate my flabby arms and tummy
1/17/2014 4:54 PM View respondent's answers

Female 53 I was in a car accident 5 years ago and because of my injuries was unable to move around much, so now that I am getting better, I paid for a gastric band and have lost 3 stone since October, so I am now getting happier with my body image
1/17/2014 3:09 PM View respondent's answers

41.5 years young, woman I still love the skin I'm in, though I'm starting to feel the wear and tear of my age. I've got great hair, beautiful skin, tan well. I'm too fat, my ass too big, but I know how to work it all to my best advantage. My body is me as much as my personality is, and I accept it as so. Life's too short for any different attitude.
1/17/2014 2:56 PM View respondent's answers

30, Female. I'm happy with my body and try not to compare myself to certain women in the media, most people don't have the time and resources these women have. Saying that Millie Mackintosh does make me want to try yoga! Ha.
1/17/2014 2:49 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 42 Ok. Much better now than I did when I was younger. I definitely used to see myself through the self-loathing prism, looking for and being disgusted by every perceived imperfection. Now I know the lumps and bumps are there but I don't mind, I think I look pretty good, just a bit haggard! (would do a few treatments if I could afford it - at present my beauty regime is minimal!). I would like to have the time and money to get a bit fitter, and I still struggle with IBS, but overall I would say my body image is pretty good. Having children and being in a good relationship definitely makes you care a lot less! I am the happiest I have ever been :)
1/17/2014 2:14 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 30 Fat, bumpy and old!
1/17/2014 1:41 PM View respondent's answers

Female 41. I don't have a particularly negative view of my body image because I'm not in bad shape for someone of my age. However, I do compare myself to my former younger self and others around me and that does get me down!
1/17/2014 12:10 PM View respondent's answers

24, female. My body is awesome. My body has suffered 2 suicide attempts in my teens and worked damn hard to make sure I stayed alive. My body suffered self harm. Then, when things got good, my body went through the battering of early menopause. So you know that muffin top? And those chunky thighs? And cellulite? Sod it. My body is powerful. That wobbly tummy can be covered up with a pretty skater dress. My jelly-like arms are home to a ton of beautifully soft cashmere cardigans. Sure, I'm big but I AM AWESOME!
1/17/2014 11:50 AM View respondent's answers

35 f
1/17/2014 10:28 AM View respondent's answers

Male, 31. Fairly slim and tall with a growing belly (noticeable only to me I'm told!). Pretty comfortable about myself - as I age and fat levels increases I sometimes think I should do more exercise. But I can't say it's a big concern.
1/17/2014 10:04 AM View respondent's answers

Fat where I shouldn't be and scrawny where I don't want to be. Male, 46
1/17/2014 9:57 AM View respondent's answers

Age: 22, Gender: Female I see myself as curvy, but not as slender as I'd like to be. Flabby definitely comes into it!
1/17/2014 8:33 AM View respondent's answers

Fat female 42
1/17/2014 8:20 AM View respondent's answers

Fat
1/17/2014 7:31 AM View respondent's answers

In my head, my body is smaller than I think and I often walk into things because I have misjudged my size. When I see a photo of myself or see myself in a mirror, I am amazed by how huge I am. So, although I spend a lot of time "feeling fat", I am fatter than I think I am :)
1/17/2014 7:09 AM View respondent's answers

Male 43. Overall okay, a bit more coverage than needed but I'm gently working on that.
1/17/2014 6:56 AM View respondent's answers

Overweight . Simon , male , 52.
1/17/2014 6:31 AM View respondent's answers

Female, aged 35 My body image is fairly positive, I'm pretty happy with it. Wish it could be the same as when I was 25 but it's ok for my age I think. Not great by any means, could be better
1/17/2014 5:45 AM View respondent's answers

morbidly obese,ugly and increasingly hairy. 39yr old female
1/17/2014 1:45 AM View respondent's answers

21 female
1/16/2014 11:51 PM View respondent's answers

24, female, just fine mostly- except when I eat too much!
1/16/2014 11:50 PM View respondent's answers

I am sometime happy with my body. I have a large stomach (left ofer from two pregnancies) I would rather have my beautiful children than a beautiful body though. Emma O'Brien age 37.
1/16/2014 11:23 PM View respondent's answers

Fine. Not perfect, not bad, but generally fine;-) female, 31
1/16/2014 11:06 PM View respondent's answers

38 female
1/16/2014 10:57 PM View respondent's answers

age:21 gender:male I'm happy with my body, not ashamed by it although I want to continue to work on it, by going to the gym etc. I don't really know what I want my body to look like, just to be more toned. I think I look pretty good and can look better but we all start some where.
1/20/2014 4:16 PM View respondent's answers

How do I perceive my own body image? How I look is important to me, which I know people see as futile but the first impression is often the way you are judged and I don't want to give off a poor first impression. I spend time choosing what I wear and how I look because I want to and I like to. Just like other people like skating or bikes, one of my passions is fashion. In terms of my body image I am confident in my clothes but not as confident without them. I think I am quite attractive, however, I know I can act with a very unattractive arrogance, usually when I am feeling defensive. I do not think I have an attractive body, although there is nothing wrong with it I think it could be better. I don't think I would ever change anything because I don't believe in that type of thing. I have a lot of respect from people who do not judge people outright on their appearance and think I can learn from them. I am a confident person, however, I do get very nervous in situations I am not used to and thinking I look the part helps me to believe I can do something. I am picky about how I look but that is just me and people who say it's pathetic and just ego-boosting are either jealous or have nothing better to do. I'm not sure if any of that has been what you were after I was just writing what I was thinking. Thanks
1/19/2014 2:14 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 19. I'm not particularly sure how I perceive my own body image. I've never really been that conscious of my body, as I've never been overweight. Obviously there are a few things I'd prefer to be perfect - stomach more toned, bigger and plumper lips, defined cheekbones, longer hair, but I know I'm happy with how I look and that everything will take forever to improve! I think a lot of how I want to look is down to other girls that I see in the media and look up to, for example Cara Delevingne for her eyebrows and bone structure, or lips like Emma Grattidge's.
1/18/2014 6:20 PM View respondent's answers

52 year old female. I need to lose a stone as I do not like my body image, I see myself as over weight!
1/18/2014 5:27 PM View respondent's answers

Age - 48 Gender - male I feel very nagative about my body image, I'm out of shape and unfit, I used to be beautiful (IMHO - in the right light!) but not any more. I don't have the time or the money to do any serious gym. My feelings about how I look stops me buying clothes that I would like and I feel far more self concious in social situations than I used to.
1/17/2014 8:32 PM View respondent's answers

It does the job, sometimes better than others. But I've only ever had brief periods in my life when I've been happy with my body.
1/17/2014 7:12 PM View respondent's answers

I have always suffered with not liking the way I look - wanting to look thinner, have smaller legs, smaller boobs etc. from a young age. However now being the tender age of 28 I am only just starting to accept that I am who I am, my body will never be as small as I wanted it to be so the most I can do is put my body in the best condition it can be. To do this I carry out my favourite stress reliever....dancing! I set myself challenges to improve my strength in my body through using aerial hoop and pole dancing. I can honestly say this have physiologically put me in the best position I have been in my whole life. I am proud of the way I look and am ever prouder of how if I work hard like I am my body can be in excellent condition. Society expects us to look a certain way - we're either too fat or too thin, half of the country is on fad diets that even if it makes you loose a couple of pounds, it doesn't do a thing for you mentally. The mind is a powerful source and in my eyes the only way you can truly be happy with your body is either by accepting that you are the way you are and be proud or make a pledge to change your lifestyle. Hope this helps Claire :) Dominique xx
1/17/2014 6:53 PM View respondent's answers

Female,38. I don't feel confident about my body especially in pictures. Do you count face in this? I have acne which really affects my confidence. For about 20 years I sporadically can't look people in the eye.
1/17/2014 6:06 PM View respondent's answers

Female 44, hate my flabby arms and tummy
1/17/2014 4:54 PM View respondent's answers

Female 53 I was in a car accident 5 years ago and because of my injuries was unable to move around much, so now that I am getting better, I paid for a gastric band and have lost 3 stone since October, so I am now getting happier with my body image
1/17/2014 3:09 PM View respondent's answers

41.5 years young, woman I still love the skin I'm in, though I'm starting to feel the wear and tear of my age. I've got great hair, beautiful skin, tan well. I'm too fat, my ass too big, but I know how to work it all to my best advantage. My body is me as much as my personality is, and I accept it as so. Life's too short for any different attitude.
1/17/2014 2:56 PM View respondent's answers

30, Female. I'm happy with my body and try not to compare myself to certain women in the media, most people don't have the time and resources these women have. Saying that Millie Mackintosh does make me want to try yoga! Ha.
1/17/2014 2:49 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 42 Ok. Much better now than I did when I was younger. I definitely used to see myself through the self-loathing prism, looking for and being disgusted by every perceived imperfection. Now I know the lumps and bumps are there but I don't mind, I think I look pretty good, just a bit haggard! (would do a few treatments if I could afford it - at present my beauty regime is minimal!). I would like to have the time and money to get a bit fitter, and I still struggle with IBS, but overall I would say my body image is pretty good. Having children and being in a good relationship definitely makes you care a lot less! I am the happiest I have ever been :)
1/17/2014 2:14 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 30 Fat, bumpy and old!
1/17/2014 1:41 PM View respondent's answers

Female 41. I don't have a particularly negative view of my body image because I'm not in bad shape for someone of my age. However, I do compare myself to my former younger self and others around me and that does get me down!
1/17/2014 12:10 PM View respondent's answers

24, female. My body is awesome. My body has suffered 2 suicide attempts in my teens and worked damn hard to make sure I stayed alive. My body suffered self harm. Then, when things got good, my body went through the battering of early menopause. So you know that muffin top? And those chunky thighs? And cellulite? Sod it. My body is powerful. That wobbly tummy can be covered up with a pretty skater dress. My jelly-like arms are home to a ton of beautifully soft cashmere cardigans. Sure, I'm big but I AM AWESOME!
1/17/2014 11:50 AM View respondent's answers

35 f
1/17/2014 10:28 AM View respondent's answers

Male, 31. Fairly slim and tall with a growing belly (noticeable only to me I'm told!). Pretty comfortable about myself - as I age and fat levels increases I sometimes think I should do more exercise. But I can't say it's a big concern.
1/17/2014 10:04 AM View respondent's answers

Fat where I shouldn't be and scrawny where I don't want to be. Male, 46
1/17/2014 9:57 AM View respondent's answers

Age: 22, Gender: Female I see myself as curvy, but not as slender as I'd like to be. Flabby definitely comes into it!
1/17/2014 8:33 AM View respondent's answers

Fat female 42
1/17/2014 8:20 AM View respondent's answers

Fat
1/17/2014 7:31 AM View respondent's answers

In my head, my body is smaller than I think and I often walk into things because I have misjudged my size. When I see a photo of myself or see myself in a mirror, I am amazed by how huge I am. So, although I spend a lot of time "feeling fat", I am fatter than I think I am :)
1/17/2014 7:09 AM View respondent's answers

Male 43. Overall okay, a bit more coverage than needed but I'm gently working on that.
1/17/2014 6:56 AM View respondent's answers

Overweight . Simon , male , 52.
1/17/2014 6:31 AM View respondent's answers

Female, aged 35 My body image is fairly positive, I'm pretty happy with it. Wish it could be the same as when I was 25 but it's ok for my age I think. Not great by any means, could be better
1/17/2014 5:45 AM View respondent's answers

morbidly obese,ugly and increasingly hairy. 39yr old female
1/17/2014 1:45 AM View respondent's answers

21 female
1/16/2014 11:51 PM View respondent's answers

24, female, just fine mostly- except when I eat too much!
1/16/2014 11:50 PM View respondent's answers

I am sometime happy with my body. I have a large stomach (left ofer from two pregnancies) I would rather have my beautiful children than a beautiful body though. Emma O'Brien age 37.
1/16/2014 11:23 PM View respondent's answers

Fine. Not perfect, not bad, but generally fine;-) female, 31
1/16/2014 11:06 PM View respondent's answers

38 female
1/16/2014 10:57 PM View respondent's answers

28 female I am a model and I hate parts of my body it effects every aspect of my life from my confidence as a model (which I do to stop myself from hating my body) it effects my relationship as I need a lot of affection and I'm never happy with how I look I try not to let it stop me from being a good role model for my 5 year old daughter, I tell her she's beautiful every day
1/16/2014 10:48 PM View respondent's answers

Age 27 Female Most the time I look in the mirror and think it's ok. But wobbly round a few edges, I wouldn't mind a smaller bum bigger boobs but if I'm holiday i wear a bikini. I don't worry about it. I don't really care what people think as long as they don't stare and my body doesn't turn heads for good or bad.I'm just an average looking woman
1/16/2014 10:37 PM View respondent's answers

22 year old Male Depends on mood, if happy/positive I can feel relatively happy, other times I can feel down on my image. I find it difficult to gain muscle when training at the gym, (naturally slim and tall) which doesn't help inspire me to change to what I'd prefer ( slightly more muscular)
1/16/2014 10:33 PM View respondent's answers

I try to avoid mirrors at all costs (I even close my eyes when I walk past a full length mirror in my house). I feel like I never look good. I feel like I am a weird shape and that my clothes look strange on my body. I guess I am an average 32 yr old woman :)
1/16/2014 10:31 PM View respondent's answers

Soft 29 f
1/16/2014 10:26 PM View respondent's answers

Like my height, happy with my face (but don't like that it's getting wrinkly) don't like certain parts of my body. Boobs too small (a little lifeless after having a child), tummy is flat with no stretch-marks which pleases me but HATE my bottom! Legs are no concern. I try to dress to disguise my bottom as I've had lots of comments about it over the years. At times when I've been super-fit I've been happier with my body and will even look at myself in a full-length mirror. I'm satisfied when I'm a 'small' size 12 and enjoy taking the compliments when I am. When my weight creeps up I don't feel as attractive. It feels like a constant battle to be comfortable in my own skin. Female 42 years
1/16/2014 10:20 PM View respondent's answers

Better now that I am trying to do exercise on a regular basis.
1/16/2014 10:17 PM View respondent's answers

Jean, 18, Female. I am currently studying fashion. Which is probably mainstream to perhaps being in smaller size or should I just say skinny. And I am skinny nor fat. I am apparently between. And I love my body the way it is. I am losing weight or gaining weight really easy. so It is easy for me to control my own body. I think at least people should appreciate their body as their own approach to love them selves. I mean, no one will love your body like you love your own body. You need to appreciate it. I guess thats just it. I don't really care what size is people on. As long as people keep appreciate their own body; such as eat good food, treat their own skin and hair, putting make up. If people could just do that, they will automatically feel good about them selves. I am always trying to take care of my body by eating good food, using natural product for my hair and skin even nails, I am not drinking much, not smoking, I arrange my sleep time. I take care of my body as my appreciation for my self, because in order to love your self you should be able to take care of your body.
1/16/2014 10:16 PM View respondent's answers

My body is not too bad considering I'm 41 and have two kids. I'm 5'7'' and a size 12 so can't really complain. When I compare myself to other women my age I think I'm doing ok.
1/16/2014 10:08 PM View respondent's answers

Female, aged 42 I feel comfortable in my own skin, finally at this age. I have never considered myself to be conventionally attractive and have instead constructed a more dramatic and striking image. I think a lot of body confidence is connected to personality and having a positive energy about you. I find people that are different looking far more memorable and interesting.
1/16/2014 10:00 PM View respondent's answers

28, female. I have areas that I would definitely improve,e specially when every day you are surrounded by the 'perfect image' by celebs/ social media sites.
1/16/2014 7:43 PM View respondent's answers

21 - Female. I feel good about my body Image. Im pretty much the exact weight I want to be, I would like to be more toned and have larger muscles, but thats more for strength than cosmetic reasons.
1/16/2014 4:05 PM View respondent's answers

Female, 21 no major issues. Relatively happy
1/16/2014 4:02 PM View respondent's answers

19/ Female The way I perceive my body image is strange, sometimes i'm really happy with it and other times I hate it. I do feel in a way that the media controls how with think with issues like this and this could be consciously or sub consciously.
1/16/2014 3:58 PM View respondent's answers

Age: 21 Gender: male I believe my body image is okay not amazing
1/16/2014 3:31 PM View respondent's answers

I consider my body Skinny type, i dont think is the normal tyoe that people are used to see,I would like to be a little more plump, but im happy and comfortable about my body i am one of the few people who can eat anything without worrying, and in really happy about that!
1/16/2014 3:15 PM View respondent's answers

through my mirror
1/16/2014 2:58 PM View respondent's answers

My body is in pretty good shape. Don't get me wrong, I'm flabby in certain places, jiggly in others and need more core strength. I like it. I have a womanly shape with a nice size bust and bottom and a smaller waist in between. It's a nice mix of health and voluptousness. I try to stay in balance meaning when my jeans get a bit tight or spillage happens over the waist band, it's just time to pare back on everything but fruits and veggies. You never want a belly bigger than your bust or to wear double digit clothes sizes.
1/16/2014 2:29 PM View respondent's answers

45 - female I am relatively pleased with my body, but naturally, am my own worst critic. I really don't care what anyone else thinks, but am very hard on myself. I am focused on living a healthy lifestyle in mind, spirit and body. My priority is to keep my health in line, and the physical appearance is secondary. I maintain a very healthy diet and fitness has always been a priority. Of course I wish I could 'fix' the physical flaws that I see, but maintaining a positive and healthy character is far more important. Thank you.
1/16/2014 12:54 PM View respondent's answers

F 21 Not very good, hard to live upto perfection shown on tv and magazines that have clearly been airbrushed within an inch of normality! Would be nice to see size 12 on the catwalks as not everyone is lucky enough to be thin, adding to depression in women who can't achieve that look. Always striving for better body image, will I ever be happy? Probably not!
1/16/2014 11:40 AM View respondent's answers

Age 54, Male. I am some what pleased with my body image, in reality my not much has changed since grade 9 shore of some muscle mass going on vacation lol. I recall having a very lousy self image right up till my mid twenty's. As a male I suspect that some of my self image issues was directly linked to me speech impediment and lack of being able to have a girl friend.
1/16/2014 11:13 AM View respondent's answers

I would say I have an extremely bad body image, helped partly by me having a body that wouldn't look out of place in a Comic Relief appeal. In all seriousness my family have a history of negative body image, gym addiction and eating disorders. My mother and sister have both suffered heavily with anorexia, my sister still battling it by going to the gym for 3 hours a day. How that is supposed to help her gain weight I do not know. My brother is another prime example of a body image disorder, injecting himself with monkey sperm to help increase his muscular frame. I have very mild symptoms in comparison, I just feel like the ugliest in any room, even when in a room with Andrew Lloyd Webber impersonators I am left feeling disgusting. This kind of affects things more than just in a shallow way, being as it does make me feel like I am worthless, leading to several suicide attempts in my teens and early twenties. On a positive note this helped mine and my Dad's relationship develop from the shell it once was to the blooming flower it now is. Back to more day-to-day operations and dealing with my tragic self-loathing. I have a plan that works quite well, it involves plenty of paper to cover mirrors, preferred stock is 135gsm Colorplan, only the best in helping me get through the day without vomiting at my own reflection. Talking about vomiting, I carry a sick bag with me, in case passers by don't have the manners to hold in their gut juice. All in all, I think I would have killed myself long ago if it weren't for my large penis. Hope this response helps you. Age 24, Male.
1/15/2014 11:05 PM View respondent's answers

Male 53 short and tubby
1/15/2014 10:16 PM View respondent's answers

28 female
1/15/2014 9:48 PM View respondent's answers

21 Female Always seen it as average, so not bad but not that good either
1/15/2014 7:53 PM View respondent's answers

52 Female
1/15/2014 6:04 PM View respondent's answers

Female
1/15/2014 5:32 PM View respondent's answers
Male 24 Media flaunts in are faces how are body's should be. Personally I have never been happy with my own body image, I'm constantly blasted with images of how I should look, I've come to realise that there will never be a specific perfect body image because next week there will be a new perfect body image to try and gain. Media and society makes us feel guilty constantly.
1/15/2014 5:20 PM View respondent's answers

22 female
1/15/2014 5:08 PM View respondent's answers

Normal, middle of the road. Male 35yrs
1/15/2014 4:09 PM View respondent's answers

23/M I wouldn't say I'm happy about it, but I am not ashamed of my image. I accept what I have and make it work for me.
1/15/2014 3:57 PM View respondent's answers

23
1/15/2014 12:47 PM View respondent's answers
Female- 21. I feel great pressure to be fit and healthy. I weigh 9st at 5ft 1inch but feel like I should loose 7lbs. I know my weight is not unhealthy but I do watch what I eat, mainly due to the fact of health and family history of heart bypass. I would prefer to be thinner and more toned.
1/15/2014 12:07 PM View respondent's answers

18, female. I feel the media has pressured me as a size 12 to be slimmer, however in recent years social media has made this much worse. I do not feel that I HAVE to be slim, but both media and social media has made me feel like I would be more easily accepted in society if I were.
1/15/2014 10:37 AM View respondent's answers

24 Female
1/15/2014 10:29 AM View respondent's answers

There is always room for improvements for me. I feel that I am lucky in some ways with what I have but would change a few things if I could/ had the chance and was safe to. So basically I'm negative about my body most days without even realising, it always runs through my head as I'm getting ready to go out, there's always something that isn't right!
1/15/2014 9:17 AM View respondent's answers

I often feel proud of my body image - until I walk out of the door. I think there is so much pressure on looking a certain way, not looking a certain way, being fat, thin, curvy, tall, short. I look at myself and think 'why can't I be accepted for how I look'. I'm often told at work to eat more and get the comment 'doesn't it make you sick, I wish my hips were as small as yours' or something of the like. I am quite slim but I do have the normal lumps and bumps that everyone else has. But it seems because I'm not a size 342, I'm not allowed to join in a conversation about losing weight or getting fit. It doesn't seem fair that women feel so free to comment on my body image in such a negative way, it does make me see myself as 'too thin, too fat' and anything else in between. Female aged 23
1/15/2014 8:39 AM View respondent's answers

Happy that my body would be perceived as 'nice' but not happy personally with how I look. Female. 18.
1/15/2014 8:14 AM View respondent's answers

I hate that I've gained weight, I hate my cheeks, and the fact I have large teeth. It makes me ashamed to look at myself in the mirror. I wish that I was skinnier. I wish that I had a toned body. I'm a female - age 28
1/15/2014 2:55 AM View respondent's answers

I hate that I've gained weight, I hate my cheeks, and the fact I have large teeth. It makes me ashamed to look at myself in the mirror. I wish that I was skinnier. I wish that I had a toned body.
1/15/2014 2:55 AM View respondent's answers

25 female
1/15/2014 2:37 AM View respondent's answers

22 male Always a bit paranoid and conscious about my body because I used to be pretty overweight as a kid and my weights always going up and down, bit annoying. I'm proud of who I am and my own body obviously but a lot of confidence in body image, etc interestingly/weirdly comes down to what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing nice clothes, which are also really comfy which is a big one - that makes me feel a lot more confident than some shitty t shirt and jeans
1/15/2014 12:56 AM View respondent's answers

Age 58 . Female ...you have to accept your body changes as you get older .... even if u try your hardest to keep the one you had .
1/15/2014 12:52 AM View respondent's answers

After suffering from anorexia nervosa throughout my teenage years, I haven't 'developed' as much as I'd of hoped. But I have realised now, fully recovered, that my body is beautiful.
1/15/2014 12:51 AM View respondent's answers

My body image is not the one that I would like to have

0 comments: