Thursday, 18 September 2014

COFFEE TABLE BOOK LAYOUTS

From researching imagery in magazines, books, coffee table books such as Vogue Covers, and researching coffee table books, and photo books online, I began developing initial layout designs for the practical element. 

I wanted to achieve a minimal, simplistic and engaging layout which gives the reader enough information to have the imagery as key focus points, opposed to being a magazine-style publication with reams and columns of body copy. 

Keeping the book consistent throughout I imagine the book would use the same layout templates throughout. Ideally I would like to have 6, 7 or 8 solid layout designs which are implemented throughout the book to do so. This would add to the overall aesthetic allowing the book to flow as one like a timeline, rather than being slightly fragmented. 

Whilst using books from my reading lists and magazines as inspiration, I didn't want the book layout to look like a magazine, and therefore wanted to be careful with so. 




Below shows a page from Graphic Design for Fashion which has some descriptive body copy on the bottom right hand side of the image shown. This is an aesthetic value which has been placed on the initial layout ideas for descriptives of the images throughout the book. This is shown below. 

Graphic Design for Fashion:


Initially I feel that the layout due to be photo heavy, needs thought in regards to grid and image placement. For this reason I took the ultimate layout book out of the library to gain inspiration from Muller-Brockmann. 

Grid Systems, by Josef Muller-Brockmann: 





A series of different type/image/type and image based layouts.



Below shows spreads from another layout book called 'editorial design'. This book focuses on case studies from both fashion based digital and print design. I feel this book will be really helpful with the layout design initially, to help me get going, as well as being really beneficial for my other fashion related briefs for the Extended Practice module.

Editorial Design - Digital and Print:







0 comments: